Secrets of making burgers at home: This recipe will blow your mind!
This page may contain affiliate links - if you buy a product we would receive a small commission at not extra cost for you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Zagreb Burger Festival
The burger festival just came to its end in Zagreb, but burger lovers did not have enough. The festival was not really the one to remember – the quality of burgers was not like the one we are used to, the staff forgot they worked in the service industry and the waiting time was too long.
We stopped by to grab burgers from our all time favorite Submarine and Brko i Brko. Submarine was good but incomparable and much smaller than their standard burgers, so we decided to share another. Since Rougemarin did not start to work long after the opening and Plac was taking “half hour break”, we chose Brko i Brko.
After a long wait (15 to 20 minutes in the afternoon, when it was not so crowded), we finally got a burger. A burger which could not be cut in half upon a request nor they could remove any of the ingredients because “burgers are exactly like the menu says”. Really? Zero points for flexibility! Anyhow, the burger was fine, but the same like the festival – nothing to remember.
Making burgers at home
Honestly, I never ate a burger until last year. For the first time I decided to make it at home and, only after I loved it, I tried several burger places in Croatia, Mexico, Slovenia and other countries. But you know what, they are never like the ones you make at home! Do you really know what are you eating when you order a burger outside? Nowadays there is a trend to advertise burgers as “organic”, “local” or “pure meat” made, but who knows what’s really inside. And how about all those tasty, oily sauces?
Let me teach you one or two about making burgers at home.
To begin with, the absolutely best thing about the homemade burger is that you know exactly what are they made of! Pay a visit to your favorite butcher or supermarket, choose the best meat you can get (I would recommend beef shoulder or you can even mix it with some pork if you like – just make sure it has some fat. Meat without the fat would not make a good burger, so think about the diet some other day. 🙂 ) Ask the butcher to mince it for you and here you go – you have a wonderful basis for your perfect burger!
Secondly, prepare the mixture for burgers in advance, at least 4 – 5 hours before, or even a night before. Spices will make your burger even tastier so you want them to rest in the fridge for at least few hours.
To make your burger complete, you will also want to make homemade buns and BBQ sauce. Do not worry, it is simple and your taste buns will be grateful! Making buns is much easier than it seems so. All you need it a bit of patience and time.
Check out the recipe below.
- 600 g minced meat
- 0,5 dcl sparkling water
- 2 - 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- spices: salt, pepper, sweet red paprika, garlic and onion powder
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 7 g salt
- 8 g dried yeast
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- 1 tea spoon baking powder
- 30 g softened butter
- 300 ml milk
- 1 egg yolk for coating the buns
- sesame or other seeds to sprinkle on the top
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tea spoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 - 6 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tea spoon vinegar
- salt if needed
- Start the preparations with burgers. As mentioned before, you want them to rest for a while in the fridge, in order for flavors to permeate. So, mix the meat with spices, sparkling water and breadcrumbs.
- After few hours in the fridge, shape the burgers. Each one should consists of 150 g meat and have a nice, rounded shape. Do not worry if it's not perfect - perfect is not real 🙂 Leave them in the fridge until your buns are ready.
- Now prepare the dough for buns. Mix flour with all dry ingredients: yeast, salt, sugar and baking powder. Slowly start adding milk and kneading the dough (add more or less milk if needed). When your dough becomes elastic and not sticky, cover it up and leave to rise for 45 minutes, or until it doubles the volume.
- Form the buns to correspond the size of burgers, keeping in mind they will grow a bit and burgers will shrink!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the buns on a baking pan, leave them to rise for another 15 minutes, coat with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame or other seeds of your choice. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Once they are ready, take the buns out of the oven and let them cool down a bit before serving.
- Prepare the BBQ sauce: Fry garlic on some olive oil, add ketchup, sugar and vinegar and mix it well together. Cook until thickens a bit.
- In the meantime start grilling the burgers - it will take around 5 minutes from each side to be perfectly grilled. Leave them aside for few minutes to rest.
- Now make your perfect burger! Cut buns in half, coat them with sauce and place the meat. Add cheese, onions, salad, fried bacon or anything that makes you happy in this world.
I have also tried to make mini burger buns from Just Cake Girl (Croatian only, but you can check mouthwatering photos) and they were spectacular! Excellent for a dinner party or just smaller snacks. We also use the similar recipe for the sauce!
It doesn’t matter the size of your burger – as long it is homemade! 🙂
If you like it, PIN it!