Eat Croatian: Istrian traditional pasta with prosciutto
This page may contain affiliate links - if you buy a product we would receive a small commission at not extra cost for you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
We were in Motovun, checking out the local shops and products they offer. Unfortunately, we did not buy any truffles, homemade olive oil or regional wine, but I managed to grab one packing of Istrian traditional pasta – fuži and I am planning to show you what I made from it right now.
Fuži are specific in shape and ways of serving. The authentic ones are still produced by the hand, in the way that dough is cut into squares and two opposite corners are stuck together, leaving an empty space in the middle. To get a better shape, you can help yourself with a wooden cooking spoon or thick knitting needle. They are usually served with different goulashes or sauces with truffles, prosciutto and other specialties.
I had a half kilo of fuži and I decided to combine it with prosciutto, some homemade bacon, mozzarella cheese, fresh cherry tomatoes and rocket salad. It was super simple to make and ever tastier. So tasty I decided to repeat the same recipe with the remaining pasta!
To ensure everything will go smoothly while cooking, you should do a little bit of prep before. You should chop the garlic, cut bacon and prosciutto in small pieces and chop the tomatoes. You should pull mozzarella into smaller pieces, clean the salad and cut cherry tomatoes in halves. That’s all! You are ready to cook.
- 250 g fuži pasta
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100 - 150 g bacon
- 500 g tomato sauce (with tomato pieces)
- salt, pepper, basil
- 80 g prosciutto
- 125 g fresh mozzarella cheese
- rocket salad
- 5 g Grana Padano cheese
- 125 g cherry tomatoes
- Put pasta to cook in boiling water, seasoned with some salt and oil. Cook for 10 - 12 minutes, until pasta is cooked as you like. Drain the pasta.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry it in the saucepan. When bacon is almost golden brown, add pieces of prosciutto and fry for another minute.
- Take out bacon and prosciutto and set them aside. Drain most of the fat from the pan, leave just as much you will use for cooking.
- Finely chop the garlic and fry it on the same fat, only until you can smell garlic in the air. Add tomatoes cut into pieces (if you wish you can peel them before) and tomato sauce. Cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and basil to taste.
- Pull mozzarella into small pieces (do not cut). Wash cherry tomatoes and cut them into halves.
- Serve fuži into every plate, pour over with tomato sauce and add fried prosciutto, bacon and mozzarella. Sprinkle with Grana Padano and decorate with rocket salad and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve hot!
Do not worry if you do not have fuži or you are not in the mood to make them, for this recipe you can use any other kind of pasta.
Our Istrian series came to the end. If you liked this recipe, you should definitely read more about Istria in our previous posts:
If you like Istria, you want to check out our Facebook album Discover Croatia – Region of Istria.
If you like it, PIN it.